Wednesday, July 18, 2012


Remembrance - The Pink Chair Project" #20 "New Friend"



NEW FRIEND
11X14

AVAILABLE FOR DELAYED SALE (SEE BELOW) 
$450

We took “Mom” on our trip to Canada stayed with my cousin Bill and his wife Marnie at their home right near Desert Lake Resort in Canada, a beautiful camping resort that they founded. By this time, everyone was just casually speaking of the chair as “Mom” We would say” be careful when you back up so you don’t run over “Mom”. On this particular day, we were going on a boat ride through the 1000 Islands and we could not take the chair there. So I chose a spot for Mom high on a hill overlooking a view through the trees around a small lake that connected to Desert Lake. There was another chair already there, a hand made Adirondack chair of strong dark brown boards. As I painted this piece, I became taken with how different the chairs looked, one hand made, one mass produced; one bright pink and one dark brown. I realized I was thinking of them as male and female chairs. Well, how appropriate! Mom would have loved sitting there with a new found handsome man. She was quite a flirt.  My sister told of a doctor, after seeing Mom in her last year, saying incredulously, “she was flirting with me!” My sister said. “Yup. That’s Mom.”


I am now sharing my current show with my readers and daily paintworks viewers. This show is currently traveling and unreserved work will be available for purchase after the travel is completed, around mid-2014. Paintings may be held until then with a 10% down payment. E-mail me or see my pink chair project blog, for details. High quality giclee prints are available on paper or canvas in a range of sizes as well as blank cards with this image. E-mail me for further information.

This exhibit tells the story about painting a pink plastic Adirondack chair. The chair represents my mother, Carolyn Elizabeth Pedersen Schulte, of Rochester, NY, who passed on June 5th, 2011. She was a wonderful woman, full of love for everyone around her, and she loved this bright color pink. She was proud of me as an artist and would love what I am doing. I take the chair to favorite places of hers and to places or situations I know she would have liked. It is a way for me to grieve and to celebrate her life. I talk to her as I paint and make sure that she would want to be where the chair has been placed.

No comments:

Post a Comment