Monday, July 9, 2012


Remembrance -The Pink Chair Project #12 - "Against the Wind"


          


"AGAINST THE WIND"

Oil on Canvas
18X24
$780

Available for delayed sale (see below)

I wanted to paint a piece with the sea in the distance and lupines in front. This piece had to be adjusted dramatically from the photo I worked from, which was taken in Friendship, Maine. The houses were made smaller and the sea closer. I first painted the chair as it was in the photo, facing toward the viewer. I just didn’t like it, it didn’t feel right some how. So I took it all out (ouch!) and re-did it, using the pink chair in my studio as a reference, this time I faced the chair toward the house. This piece has areas painted very thinly as well as thickly and an intense sense of drama, unusual for me. I am still trying to get the message of it clearly, as there are several in there. It is clear that there is something going on with that white house, a conversation of sorts, but what does it mean? Are all those lupines representative of family? Is the white house on the edge of the canvas about looking forward to a hereafter? I certainly didn’t expect that to be such a strong element. My title gives a clue as to what I feel. Right from the beginning this piece has been called “Against the Wind” I always see the chair as counteracting the forces that are pushing against it and up the hill. My sister clarified it for me yesterday when I discussed the difficulty of producing a solo show while suffering from chronic pain: “You have a goal in mind and you will reach it!  I know the "where there's a will there's a way attitude".  It came from Mom. (This) attitude has been a big part of my life.  I have thought of her saying that often all my life and often said it to my kids.” Thank you, Georgie. You made that part so clear. But, hmmm, there is still that white house. Ideas welcome!

I am now sharing my current show with my readers and daily paintworks viewers. This show is currently traveling and will be available for purchase after the travel is completed, around mid-2014. Paintings may be held until then with a 10% down payment. E-mail me or see my pink chair project blog, for details

This exhibit tells the story about painting a pink plastic Adirondack chair. The chair represents my mother, Carolyn Elizabeth Pedersen Schulte, of Rochester, NY, who passed on June 5th, 2011. She was a wonderful woman, full of love for everyone around her, and she loved this bright color pink. She was proud of me as an artist and would love what I am doing. I take the chair to favorite places of hers and to places or situations I know she would have liked. It is a way for me to grieve and to celebrate her life. I talk to her as I paint and make sure that she would want to be where the chair has been placed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment