Sunday, August 4, 2013

Port Clyde Refuel (Framed)


30" x 40"
Oil on Canvas
Framed in Cpontemporary Floater Frame
Limited publication time
$2900

 I took a photo in Port Clyde, Maine, where the boats go out to Monhegan Island because I loved the way the sun hit the objects that afternoon. Later, in painting it, I was mystified by the blue, red, and yellow object. I just couldn't figure out what it was and it seemed important to know. So I asked everyone who had a boat or who might know. I kept a list, because everyone had a different idea. Finally, the light. I went to the source this June when I was on my Maine painting trip, and I asked a fisherman who was working that dock. The red/yellow object is a support for the blue water hose so it doesn't get kinked with the tide changes. At last! Also, I found out that the green handled nozzle is for gas and the missing one is for diesel fuel. Now I can relax.

I am very proud of this piece, the largest one that started my new series of items from the working waterfront. I love the light and the way it blesses the everyday objects that serve the need of the sailor. This piece was chosen for a national juried exhibit at the Cape Cod Art Association. 

No comments:

Post a Comment